When it comes to keeping your outdoor wooden furniture in top condition, regular cleaning and maintenance are essential. But not many homeowners know how to effectively clean wooden outdoor furniture. Whether you’re cleaning a wooden table or bar stools in Perth, we’ve got some tips to help you keep your outdoor furniture looking great:
- Prepare the surface: Before cleaning, use a damp cloth to wipe down the wood surface and remove any dirt or debris that has accumulated on the surface.
- Clean the wood: Use a mixture of mild soap, warm water and baking soda to clean your outdoor wooden furniture. Make sure you rinse thoroughly with plain water and dry completely with a soft cloth after cleaning.
- Treat the wood: To protect your outdoor furniture from weathering, apply a protective sealant or clear coat. This will help to keep the wood looking new and prevent fading or discolouration due to weathering.
- Use coverings: To protect your outdoor furniture from rain, snow and extreme temperatures, consider using covers designed specifically for outdoor furniture because this will keep your furniture clean and in good condition for longer periods.
- Adjust as needed: As the environment changes, adjust your furniture accordingly and treat it with care. Check for signs of wear and tear regularly, and be sure to address any issues before they worsen so that you can keep your outdoor furniture looking like new.
- Carefully store away: When not in use, store your outdoor furniture in a dry place that’s secure and away from harsh temperatures. Make sure to use covers or tarps to protect it further if necessary.
Cleaning Mistakes with Wooden Furniture
So, you’ve seen that a combination of warm water, baking soda, and mild soap can do the trick. Here are some common mistakes to avoid if you want to keep your outdoor furniture looking amazing:
- Excessive Moisture: Avoid getting your wooden furniture too wet because this can cause damage to the wood and create an uneven finish.
- Harsh Chemicals: Be careful when using chemical-based products on your wooden outdoor furniture as these may strip away the protective finish and leave it vulnerable to further damage.
- Abrasive Materials: Never scrub or use an abrasive cleaner on your wooden furniture as this may scratch the wood and damage its overall appearance.
- Pressure Washing: Be very cautious when pressure washing your outdoor furniture as too much pressure can cause permanent damage. It’s best to stick with a low-pressure cleaning option and scrub gently with a soft brush.
- Sunlight: To avoid fading of the wood, be sure to place your furniture away from direct sunlight or use an outdoor cover if possible. Additionally, you can use a protective finish such as wood oil or varnish every couple of months to keep the wood looking great.
To summarise, keeping your wooden outdoor furniture looking brand new requires regular care and maintenance. Investing in a good quality product is the first step, followed by frequent cleaning with mild detergents and soft brushes to remove dirt and debris. Avoid harsh chemical cleaners and pressure washing, as well as direct sunlight, to prevent damage or fading of the wood.
Finally, you should use a protective finish such as wood oil or varnish every couple of months to keep the wood looking great. If you follow these tips, your wooden outdoor furniture will look pristine for many years to come!